Archive | Wage & Hour RSS feed for this section
Michael Cardman October 31, 2016
Barring a last-minute legislative change or court injunction, we’re now just a month away from when the new Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) overtime rules take effect on December 1. Hopefully, you and your company have already taken steps to… continue
Michael Cardman October 24, 2016
As if high turnover rates, seasonal demand and supply chain management weren’t difficult enough, retail employers face a variety of compliance challenges that are unique to their industry. Some states and municipalities have enacted requirements that apply specifically — and… continue
Melissa Silver September 27, 2016
With various employment-related ordinances, such as minimum wage and paid sick leave laws trending on a local level, employers are probably wondering, is my city next? Maybe, maybe not. While local employment laws may be on the rise, state… continue
David Weisenfeld September 20, 2016
With the number of freelance or contract workers very much on the rise, a new term “the gig economy” has grown along with it. The gig economy refers to the contingent workforce operating in a digital marketplace, and Fisher Phillips… continue
Michael Jacobson September 7, 2016
It’s been a rough year for Chipotle, but sadly for the broker of burritos, there’s no end in sight to the bad press. Last August, an outbreak of E. coli bacteria and norovirus forced Chipotle to close dozens of stores… continue
Michael Cardman August 30, 2016
Employee classification has always been difficult for employers in California due to differences between California law and federal law. Until recently, the most significant difference has been that California requires that most overtime-exempt employees spend at least 50 percent of… continue
David Weisenfeld July 19, 2016
The US Supreme Court’s recently concluded term took a turn few could have anticipated with the February death of Justice Antonin Scalia. While the term had its usual array of cases affecting employers, Justice Scalia’s absence unquestionably altered the result… continue
Michael Cardman June 24, 2016
As we approach the mid-point of the year, new requirements are taking effect in many states across the nation. What’s in store for the states where your business operates? See below for a selection of some of the most significant… continue
Michael Cardman May 23, 2016
Upcoming increases in state and local minimum wages will limit the range of responses employers will have available to comply with the new Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) overtime rules. As the US Department of Labor has noted, an employer… continue
Michael Jacobson May 18, 2016
A round up of workplace developments and legal trends to help keep HR ahead of the curve If you’re in HR, it won’t surprise you that industry observers have called for a transformation of HR as we know it or… continue
Get Social with XpertHR
- Performance Management: The Importance of Being Honest October 11, 2012
- What Skills Do CHROs Need to Bring to the Table in 2016? January 29, 2016
- Reduce Workplace Absenteeism With Five Simple Steps June 1, 2015
- SHRM 2015: How Does HR Thrive? June 30, 2015
- Why ‘Ban the Box’ Trend Has Huge Impact on Employers December 17, 2015
- Pressing Questions on Reasonable Accommodations under the ADA and FMLA April 17, 2019
- Why Paid Family Leave Should Be on Your Radar – If It Isn’t Already April 10, 2019
- Sexual Harassment Prevention: Employers Must Do More April 2, 2019
- How to Keep Your Best Employees From Walking Out the Door March 29, 2019
- #SHRMLEG 2019 Fireside Chat: Future of Work Involves More Employee, Social Issues Engagement March 22, 2019
- Robert Teachout: Thank you for commenting on the vacation article. ...
- Thomasine H. Mitchell: What if I am a school teacher and my principal say...
- David Weisenfeld: That is true in the case of California's legaliza...
- David Weisenfeld: Thanks for your comment Fredrick. Tricky situation...
- Fredrick Carter: It will indeed be interesting to see how employers...
absence management age discrimination background checks ban the box business practices compliance discrimination diversity diversity and inclusion employee benefits employee classification employee engagement employee handbooks employee leaves employee rights equal opportunities equal pay executive pay flexible working FLSA FMLA Global HR global hr harassment HR strategy immigration joint employer layoffs minimum wage NLRB overtime paid sick leave reasonable accommodations recruiting recruiting and hiring religious accommodation retaliation salary history sex discrimination sexual harassment social media telecommuting wage and hour workplace safety workplace violence