Tag Archives | ban the box
Melissa Silver September 27, 2016
With various employment-related ordinances, such as minimum wage and paid sick leave laws trending on a local level, employers are probably wondering, is my city next? Maybe, maybe not. While local employment laws may be on the rise, state… continue
Beth Zoller July 26, 2016
Running a business and managing employees can be extremely challenging – especially when an employer and HR need to comply with federal, state and municipal requirements. An employer must stay on track and manage the unique interplay of a myriad… continue
Michael Jacobson June 15, 2016
A regular round up of news, legal trends and workplace developments to help keep HR ahead of the curve. The job market is stuck in a rut and it’s not because of people clamoring for jobs. In fact, it’s the… continue
Michael Jacobson April 6, 2016
A round up of workplace developments and legal trends to help keep HR ahead of the curve While the rest of the world focuses on things like the war in Syria, a massive refugee crisis, the US presidential election and… continue
David Weisenfeld December 17, 2015
More than 90 percent of employers use background checks to screen job applicants at some point in the hiring process. But a new trend is placing limits on when many employers can seek criminal history information. Banning the Box The… continue
Michael Jacobson November 24, 2015
A round up of workplace developments and legal trends to help keep HR ahead of the curve The NLRB’s joint employer ruling is still hanging over employers’ heads, but at least one employer can be thankful entering this holiday season. … continue
Michael Jacobson September 30, 2015
A roundup of workplace trends and legal developments to keep HR ahead of the curve Mega-contractor Haliburton will pay dearly for FLSA missteps, to the tune of over $18.3 million. In what the DOL said was one of the “largest… continue
David Weisenfeld January 9, 2015
As the Times Square ball dropped in New York City to ring in the new year, a host of new employment laws across the US took effect. Some of the key developments include a multitude of state minimum wage… continue
David Weisenfeld November 17, 2014
A host of fast-moving employment trends like paid sick leave, domestic violence leave and ban the box are affecting US employers in certain regions, but not others. So what’s a vigilant multistate employer to do to steer clear of litigation?… continue
David Weisenfeld August 15, 2014
More than 90% of employers conduct background checks on job applicants at some point in the hiring process. A failure to do so today could lead to a negligent hiring lawsuit tomorrow. But employers that fail to pay attention to… continue
Get Social with XpertHR
- Performance Management: The Importance of Being Honest October 11, 2012
- What Skills Do CHROs Need to Bring to the Table in 2016? January 29, 2016
- Reduce Workplace Absenteeism With Five Simple Steps June 1, 2015
- SHRM 2015: How Does HR Thrive? June 30, 2015
- Why ‘Ban the Box’ Trend Has Huge Impact on Employers December 17, 2015
- March Madness 2019: Why Employers Should Embrace It…To a Point March 18, 2019
- Aiming for Gender Equity One Employer at a Time March 15, 2019
- Creative Ways to Attract and Retain Older Workers March 5, 2019
- Investigations 101: 5 Things You Really Need to Know March 4, 2019
- How Employers Can Prepare for Cold and Flu Season February 19, 2019
- Robert Teachout: Thank you for commenting on the vacation article. ...
- Thomasine H. Mitchell: What if I am a school teacher and my principal say...
- David Weisenfeld: That is true in the case of California's legaliza...
- David Weisenfeld: Thanks for your comment Fredrick. Tricky situation...
- Fredrick Carter: It will indeed be interesting to see how employers...
absence management age discrimination background checks ban the box business practices compliance discrimination diversity diversity and inclusion employee benefits employee classification employee engagement employee handbooks employee leaves employee rights equal opportunities equal pay executive pay flexible working FLSA FMLA global hr Global HR harassment HR strategy immigration joint employer layoffs minimum wage NLRB overtime paid sick leave reasonable accommodations recruiting recruiting and hiring religious accommodation retaliation salary history sex discrimination sexual harassment social media telecommuting wage and hour workplace safety workplace violence