About Rena PirsosI am the legal editor for the payroll section of XpertHR US. I have a law degree and more than 25 years of experience as a writer and editor of tax and business publications for an audience of both legal and non-legal professionals.
Prior to joining XpertHR, I was Managing Editor, Payroll Information Resources, for the American Payroll Association. I have also worked at other well-known legal publishing companies, including CCH, WGL/Thompson Professional Publishing and Prentice Hall/Simon and Schuster.
Some of the topics I cover at XpertHR include:
Taxation of Employee Benefits
Taxation of Employee Compensation
Depositing and Reporting Withheld Taxes
Payment of Wages
Unemployment Insurance Tax (FUTA/SUTA)
International Payroll Issues
Author archive | Rena Pirsos
Rena Pirsos September 29, 2015
In today’s fast-paced business environment of multistate operations and frequent employee turnaround, it is vital for employers to stay on top of the myriad laws governing final wage payments. State laws and regulations dictate exactly when an employer must provide… continue
Rena Pirsos December 12, 2014
With the holiday season upon us, HR and payroll departments are heavily focused on closing out the year’s payroll and preparing for 2015. Employers must update various processes and systems in order to implement annual changes in employment tax forms… continue
Rena Pirsos August 7, 2014
In today’s corporate environment of multistate operations and frequent layoffs, it is vital for employers that pay employees in more than one state to stay abreast of the termination pay laws. State laws and regulations dictate when an employer must… continue
Rena Pirsos July 23, 2013
A new XpertHR infographic provides an in-depth look at the history of US payroll taxes and how employers have rapidly become the nation’s central tax collector. It’s no secret the US tax system has become so complex over the past… continue
Get Social with XpertHR
- Performance Management: The Importance of Being Honest October 11, 2012
- What Skills Do CHROs Need to Bring to the Table in 2016? January 29, 2016
- Reduce Workplace Absenteeism With Five Simple Steps June 1, 2015
- SHRM 2015: How Does HR Thrive? June 30, 2015
- Why ‘Ban the Box’ Trend Has Huge Impact on Employers December 17, 2015
- New 2019 California Employment Laws Creating Compliance Challenges February 15, 2019
- Valentine’s Day in the #MeToo Era: What’s Appropriate Behavior? February 12, 2019
- 8 Key Challenges for Global Employers February 8, 2019
- Today’s Workplace: The Importance of Keeping It Real January 28, 2019
- Building Trust: Critical Currency in a Competitive Job Market January 24, 2019
- Robert Teachout: Thank you for commenting on the vacation article. ...
- Thomasine H. Mitchell: What if I am a school teacher and my principal say...
- David Weisenfeld: That is true in the case of California's legaliza...
- David Weisenfeld: Thanks for your comment Fredrick. Tricky situation...
- Fredrick Carter: It will indeed be interesting to see how employers...
absence management background checks ban the box business practices compliance discrimination diversity diversity and inclusion EEOC employee benefits employee classification employee engagement employee handbooks employee leaves employee rights equal opportunities equal pay executive pay flexible working FLSA FMLA global hr Global HR harassment HR strategy immigration joint employer layoffs minimum wage NLRB overtime paid sick leave reasonable accommodations recruiting recruiting and hiring religious accommodation retaliation salary history sex discrimination sexual harassment social media telecommuting wage and hour workplace safety workplace violence