Marta Moakley February 11, 2013
In honor of President’s Day, I thought it’d be fun to take the Performance Appraisal process to the West Wing. Each day this week, I will be discussing the art of communicating performance reviews while applying the theme of my… continue
David Weisenfeld February 8, 2013
Notre Dame football captain Manti Te’o had many shedding tears last fall when he told a live NBC television audience about his girlfriend’s death from leukemia and its impact on him. Some credited the story with helping inspire the team’s… continue
Michael Cardman February 6, 2013
Why does the number of lawsuits filed under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) keep rising every year? Some oft-repeated answers include: The bad economy led to layoffs, which in turn led to disgruntled workers filing more lawsuits; The FLSA’s… continue
Beth Zoller January 31, 2013
More than a month has passed since the horrific massacre in Newtown, Connecticut. Ordinary teachers and precious young children who were going about their day like any other were gunned down in the worst elementary school shooting this country has… continue
Beth Zoller January 18, 2013
As the US prepares to honor Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday, it is a fitting tribute that this year’s holiday falls on the same day as President Barack Obama’s second inauguration. With this summer marking the 50th anniversary of the… continue
Ashley Shaw January 17, 2013
Now Sam McGee was from Tennessee, where the cotton blooms and blows. Why he left his home in the South to roam ’round the Pole, God only knows. If you’ve never read Robert W. Service’s “The Cremation of Sam McGee“,… continue
Michael Jacobson January 15, 2013
For those faithful believers of the Mayan apocalyptic prophesy, the arrival of 2013 might seem a bit…anticlimactic. The world didn’t end despite their passionate insistence it would. Whoops. But for those of us who were rooting against a giant rogue… continue
David Weisenfeld January 9, 2013
With the Supreme Court kicking off its 2013 argument schedule this week, the year promises to provide a few blockbusters that could come close to approaching the level of interest given to last year’s health care ruling. Highlighting the list… continue
Melissa Burdorf December 19, 2012
As a born and raised jersey girl when I first saw the devastation of Hurricane Sandy I could barely breathe. I immediately felt a need to get in my car and take that parkway south drive to the jersey shore… continue
Ashley Shaw December 17, 2012
Ah, the holiday season: ’tis the most wonderful season, for some: for others, though, not so much. Yes, this article is about depression. And if you have read any of my other blogs (if you haven’t, please feel free… continue
Get Social with XpertHR
- Performance Management: The Importance of Being Honest October 11, 2012
- What Skills Do CHROs Need to Bring to the Table in 2016? January 29, 2016
- Reduce Workplace Absenteeism With Five Simple Steps June 1, 2015
- SHRM 2015: How Does HR Thrive? June 30, 2015
- Why ‘Ban the Box’ Trend Has Huge Impact on Employers December 17, 2015
- Pressing Questions on Reasonable Accommodations under the ADA and FMLA April 17, 2019
- Why Paid Family Leave Should Be on Your Radar – If It Isn’t Already April 10, 2019
- Sexual Harassment Prevention: Employers Must Do More April 2, 2019
- How to Keep Your Best Employees From Walking Out the Door March 29, 2019
- #SHRMLEG 2019 Fireside Chat: Future of Work Involves More Employee, Social Issues Engagement March 22, 2019
- Robert Teachout: Thank you for commenting on the vacation article. ...
- Thomasine H. Mitchell: What if I am a school teacher and my principal say...
- David Weisenfeld: That is true in the case of California's legaliza...
- David Weisenfeld: Thanks for your comment Fredrick. Tricky situation...
- Fredrick Carter: It will indeed be interesting to see how employers...
absence management age discrimination background checks ban the box business practices compliance discrimination diversity diversity and inclusion employee benefits employee classification employee engagement employee handbooks employee leaves employee rights equal opportunities equal pay executive pay flexible working FLSA FMLA Global HR global hr harassment HR strategy immigration joint employer layoffs minimum wage NLRB overtime paid sick leave reasonable accommodations recruiting recruiting and hiring religious accommodation retaliation salary history sex discrimination sexual harassment social media telecommuting wage and hour workplace safety workplace violence