About Ashley Shaw
Ashley Shaw was formally the legal editor of the risk management - health, safety, security chapter of XpertHR.
Author archive | Ashley Shaw
Ashley Shaw August 17, 2015
Are you an employer or HR professional in Texas? If so, you are surely aware it’s a big state to say the least. How big? In an article for Business Insider, Elena Holodny details some facts to illustrate. Texas is… continue
Ashley Shaw April 7, 2015
As an employer, why is it important for you to take mental health seriously? While pure human compassion is certainly a good reason, there are also many less altruistic reasons as well. For example, when an employee is healthy–physically and… continue
Ashley Shaw January 14, 2015
January 1 was not only the first day of the New Year, it was also implementation day for many new and updated employment laws. In the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) arena, January 1 marked the beginning of the… continue
Ashley Shaw September 19, 2014
Just like it is important to take precautions against the Ebola virus, employers should be prepared for all infectious diseases that could harm their workplaces. When flu season rolls around, employers and HR professionals are not immune from its effects.… continue
Ashley Shaw August 13, 2014
An employer with workers in West Africa is undoubtedly aware that the region is being ravaged by the deadliest Ebola outbreak in recorded history. And some experts say an Ebola case could soon be diagnosed in the US. In light… continue
Ashley Shaw June 18, 2014
Sometimes, it is hard for an employer to keep track of just which laws apply to it. For instance, how many employees do you need to be regulated by the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)? If you are a public… continue
Ashley Shaw May 29, 2014
Electronic cigarettes (a.k.a., e-cigarettes or e-cigs) are a growing trend in the US, including in the workplace. When it comes to these vaporized devices, there are a lot of questions: Are they actually healthier than regular cigarettes? Assuming they are… continue
Ashley Shaw January 29, 2014
When blizzards coat huge portions of the US and snow is forecast in South Georgia and Florida of all places, you know there is an extreme weather event taking place. So what’s an employer to do? The latest Polar Vortex… continue
Ashley Shaw November 12, 2013
Do you want your business to be sustainable? If so, and I hope you do, then you should have been at EHS Today’s America’s Safest Companies Conference, co-sponsored with the law firm Fisher & Phillips, in Atlanta, Ga. The word… continue
Ashley Shaw October 2, 2013
The US Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) recently updated its Hazard Communication (HazCom) Standard. When fully implemented, the new HazCom Standard will more closely resemble the Globally Harmonized Standard (GHS), which is currently used in most other parts of… continue
Get Social with XpertHR
- Performance Management: The Importance of Being Honest October 11, 2012
- What Skills Do CHROs Need to Bring to the Table in 2016? January 29, 2016
- Reduce Workplace Absenteeism With Five Simple Steps June 1, 2015
- SHRM 2015: How Does HR Thrive? June 30, 2015
- Why ‘Ban the Box’ Trend Has Huge Impact on Employers December 17, 2015
- July 1 Compliance Deadlines Coming Up for Employers June 19, 2019
- Closing the Strategic Gaps Between HR and Senior Leadership June 12, 2019
- Should Employers Rethink Drug Testing Amidst Marijuana Legalization? June 10, 2019
- 5 Ways Your Company May Be Discriminating Against LGBT Employees June 7, 2019
- Why Workplace Diversity and Inclusion Remains Compelling May 31, 2019
- Robert Teachout: Thank you for commenting on the vacation article. ...
- Thomasine H. Mitchell: What if I am a school teacher and my principal say...
- David Weisenfeld: That is true in the case of California's legaliza...
- David Weisenfeld: Thanks for your comment Fredrick. Tricky situation...
- Fredrick Carter: It will indeed be interesting to see how employers...
absence management age discrimination background checks ban the box business practices compliance discrimination diversity diversity and inclusion employee benefits employee classification employee engagement employee handbooks employee leaves employee rights equal opportunities equal pay executive pay flexible working FLSA FMLA Global HR global hr harassment HR strategy immigration joint employer layoffs minimum wage NLRB overtime paid sick leave reasonable accommodations recruiting recruiting and hiring religious accommodation retaliation salary history sex discrimination sexual harassment social media telecommuting wage and hour workplace safety workplace violence