Archive | Wage & Hour RSS feed for this section
David Weisenfeld January 2, 2018
As the calendar turns to 2018, there are a host of new employment laws at the state and municipal levels that took effect December 31 or January 1 of which employers must be aware. Not surprisingly, a massive number of… continue
Rena Pirsos December 12, 2017
During the holidays, many employers opt to give gifts to employees and host parties as a gesture of good will, a reward for achievements during the past year, or a morale booster to encourage continued good performance in the year… continue
Michael Cardman November 29, 2017
As if the holiday season weren’t stressful enough with all the shopping and cooking to be done, HR professionals also must deal with a variety of wage and hour challenges. Be sure to check these five considerations off your list… continue
Michael Cardman October 20, 2017
According to a new survey from Upwork and the Freelancers Union, about 57 million Americans (or 36% of the US workforce) are freelancing, which the study defined as performing supplemental, temporary, project- or contract-based work within the past 12 months.… continue
David Weisenfeld August 17, 2017
It’s no secret that California is often at or near the forefront when it comes to new developments to expand employee protections. Sometimes, these measures become a bit of an outlier. But on many occasions, with minimum wage hikes being… continue
Rena Pirsos August 3, 2017
An overpayment of wages can occur for many different reasons, such as inaccurate or delayed payroll processing, inaccurate accruals upon an employee’s termination, payroll system failure or simple clerical error. Regardless of why the overpayment occurred, the employee is not… continue
Beth Zoller July 24, 2017
When it comes to state and municipal employment legislation, the Empire State and the Big Apple are leading the way in seeking to level the playing field between employers and employees by ensuring workers a fair wage, added leave protections… continue
David Weisenfeld June 26, 2017
July 1 is a day of national celebration for our friends in Canada. But in many parts of the US, it’s compliance deadline day as a flurry of new employment laws take effect. Here are some of most significant changes… continue
Michael Cardman May 15, 2017
It may be hard to believe, but summer is less than six weeks away. More than four out of every 10 employers plan to hire seasonal workers for the summer, according to a survey released last week by the job… continue
Rena Pirsos April 7, 2017
Employees quit their jobs or get fired every day in the working world. Despite the commonality of it, separations from employment often end up being a compliance challenge for employers. That’s because strict laws require employers to be ready to… continue
Get Social with XpertHR
- Performance Management: The Importance of Being Honest October 11, 2012
- What Skills Do CHROs Need to Bring to the Table in 2016? January 29, 2016
- Reduce Workplace Absenteeism With Five Simple Steps June 1, 2015
- SHRM 2015: How Does HR Thrive? June 30, 2015
- Why ‘Ban the Box’ Trend Has Huge Impact on Employers December 17, 2015
- Superstar Sexual Harassment Revelations Roil the Workplace January 10, 2018
- New ACA Developments May Affect Employers January 9, 2018
- 2018 Rings in Host of New Employment Laws January 2, 2018
- HR Intel Year End Edition: HR’s Secret to Success in 2018 December 27, 2017
- Top 2018 Resolutions to Boost Employee Engagement December 22, 2017
- David Weisenfeld: That is true in the case of California's legaliza...
- David Weisenfeld: Thanks for your comment Fredrick. Tricky situation...
- Fredrick Carter: It will indeed be interesting to see how employers...
- Keyrah: I am curious how some of these laws will be enforc...
- Frank: Just cancel the holidays. That's what it's comin...
absence management ACA background checks ban the box business practices contingency planning discrimination diversity EEOC employee benefits employee classification employee communications employee engagement employee handbooks employee leaves employee rights equal opportunities equal pay executive pay FLSA FMLA Global HR global hr harassment HR strategy immigration joint employer layoffs mergers and acquisitions minimum wage NLRB overtime paid sick leave performance management reasonable accommodations recruiting religious accommodation retaliation sex discrimination sexual harassment social media telecommuting wage and hour workplace safety workplace violence