Tag Archives | FLSA
Counting Bonuses Toward the New FLSA Salary Level: Much Ado About Nothing or Radical Break From the Past?
Michael Cardman May 16, 2016
UPDATE: May 18, 2016 – Details of the final rule released today show that employers will be able to make a “catch-up” payment if an incentivized employee falls short of the salary minimum to avoid reclassifying the employee as nonexempt… continue
Alicia Smith April 19, 2016
It is often said that “good things come to those who wait.” However, when it comes to wage and hour compliance, it is becoming increasingly clear the time to act is now. In fact, waiting could put an employer in… continue
Michael Cardman March 18, 2016
The US Department of Labor’s new Fair Labor Standards Act regulations, which are expected to double the minimum salary for overtime-exempt employees, are coming out any day now and will probably take effect 60 days after their publication. Earlier this… continue
Michael Cardman February 26, 2016
The past several years have seen a number of state and local laws increasing the minimum wage, providing paid sick leave and “banning the box,” among other things. The next big trend in employment law could turn out to be… continue
Michael Cardman February 2, 2016
Remember Goofus and Gallant from Highlights for Children magazine? Gallant was always doing the right thing, putting his toys away and playing nice with others, while Goofus did the opposite. The idea was that you can learn a lot from… continue
Michael Cardman January 21, 2016
With a major winter storm threatening to hit much of the East Coast, now is a great time to review wage and hour requirements for paying employees should it become necessary to close a work site. When a work site… continue
Michael Cardman December 14, 2015
With the holiday season well underway, here are six items we think should be on every HR department’s to-do list for the new year. 1. Update Your Workplace Policies and Employee Handbooks There have been a lot of developments at… continue
David Weisenfeld October 5, 2015
This week marks the start of the Supreme Court’s new term. It’s been little more than three months since the Court ended its last term by legalizing same-sex marriage and rebuffing the latest challenge to the Affordable Care Act. While… continue
Michael Jacobson September 30, 2015
A roundup of workplace trends and legal developments to keep HR ahead of the curve Mega-contractor Haliburton will pay dearly for FLSA missteps, to the tune of over $18.3 million. In what the DOL said was one of the “largest… continue
Michael Cardman September 8, 2015
Most HR professionals know that federal law requires employers to pay nonexempt employees one and a half times their regular rate of pay for each hour over 40 in a workweek. But it’s all too easy to forget that many… continue
Get Social with XpertHR
- Performance Management: The Importance of Being Honest October 11, 2012
- What Skills Do CHROs Need to Bring to the Table in 2016? January 29, 2016
- Reduce Workplace Absenteeism With Five Simple Steps June 1, 2015
- SHRM 2015: How Does HR Thrive? June 30, 2015
- Why ‘Ban the Box’ Trend Has Huge Impact on Employers December 17, 2015
- Can Embracing March Madness Improve Employee Engagement? March 15, 2018
- From #SHRMLeg: Becoming an ADA Accommodation Expert March 13, 2018
- From #SHRMLeg: How Employers Deal with Marijuana, Opioids and Other Drugs in the Workplace March 12, 2018
- Paid Leave Podcast Shines Spotlight on Growing Trend March 6, 2018
- Machines vs. Humans in the Age of AI: Finding the Right Workplace Balance March 5, 2018
- David Weisenfeld: That is true in the case of California's legaliza...
- David Weisenfeld: Thanks for your comment Fredrick. Tricky situation...
- Fredrick Carter: It will indeed be interesting to see how employers...
- Keyrah: I am curious how some of these laws will be enforc...
- Frank: Just cancel the holidays. That's what it's comin...
absence management ACA background checks ban the box business practices compliance contingency planning discrimination diversity EEOC employee benefits employee classification employee communications employee engagement employee handbooks employee leaves employee rights equal opportunities equal pay executive pay FLSA FMLA global hr Global HR harassment HR strategy immigration joint employer layoffs mergers and acquisitions minimum wage NLRB overtime paid sick leave performance management reasonable accommodations recruiting retaliation sex discrimination sexual harassment social media telecommuting wage and hour workplace safety workplace violence