Tag Archives | employee rights
Melissa Gonzalez Boyce September 10, 2015
Those managing employees in California know all too well the legal minefields they have to carefully navigate through each day. California is known as perhaps the most “employee-friendly” state in the nation with good reason, as its state legislature, agencies… continue
Michael Jacobson September 1, 2015
A roundup of workplace trends and legal developments to keep HR ahead of the curve The National Labor Relations Board is at it again and this time, it may just have rocked the entire business world. On August 27, the… continue
Beth Zoller August 26, 2015
When it comes to drafting employee handbooks and policy provisions, the stakes are high and employers who make mistakes, whether they be big or small, may cause confusion and potentially face costly litigation. As a result, an employer should be… continue
Ashley Shaw August 17, 2015
Are you an employer or HR professional in Texas? If so, you are surely aware it’s a big state to say the least. How big? In an article for Business Insider, Elena Holodny details some facts to illustrate. Texas is… continue
Beth Zoller July 29, 2015
At a Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) regional chapter symposium in New Jersey last week, Fisher & Phillips employment attorney David Lichtenberg shared some helpful tips for managing employees on leave. Lichtenberg also discussed several best practices for avoiding… continue
Beth Zoller July 24, 2015
In an effort to protect legitimate business interests and safeguard valuable company information from competitors, employers often rely on confidentiality agreements and employee handbook policies. However, recent government agency initiatives have directly called traditional confidentiality provisions into question because of… continue
David Weisenfeld July 20, 2015
The reverberations are still being felt from the Supreme Court’s blockbuster June 26 decision to legalize gay marriage nationwide. The finding in Obergefell v. Hodges that state same-sex marriage bans violated the Constitution’s Equal Protection Clause left no doubt where… continue
Beth Zoller June 23, 2015
This year Ramadan, the month-long religious holiday celebrated by Muslims worldwide, began on June 18 and ends on July 17. Because federal, state and local laws prohibit discrimination and harassment based on a job applicant’s or employee’s religious beliefs and… continue
Beth Zoller June 17, 2015
Summer often means more casual dress, office parties, a new crop of interns and vacation time. However, it is critical for an employer to have the proper workplace policies and procedures in place to effectively handle summer issues and avoid… continue
Melissa Gonzalez Boyce May 20, 2015
The National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) continues its aggressive enforcement actions against work rules and policies it deems overbroad and infringing on an employee’s rights to engage in activity protected by the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA). Non-union and union… continue
Get Social with XpertHR
- Performance Management: The Importance of Being Honest October 11, 2012
- What Skills Do CHROs Need to Bring to the Table in 2016? January 29, 2016
- Reduce Workplace Absenteeism With Five Simple Steps June 1, 2015
- SHRM 2015: How Does HR Thrive? June 30, 2015
- Why ‘Ban the Box’ Trend Has Huge Impact on Employers December 17, 2015
- Can Embracing March Madness Improve Employee Engagement? March 15, 2018
- From #SHRMLeg: Becoming an ADA Accommodation Expert March 13, 2018
- From #SHRMLeg: How Employers Deal with Marijuana, Opioids and Other Drugs in the Workplace March 12, 2018
- Paid Leave Podcast Shines Spotlight on Growing Trend March 6, 2018
- Machines vs. Humans in the Age of AI: Finding the Right Workplace Balance March 5, 2018
- David Weisenfeld: That is true in the case of California's legaliza...
- David Weisenfeld: Thanks for your comment Fredrick. Tricky situation...
- Fredrick Carter: It will indeed be interesting to see how employers...
- Keyrah: I am curious how some of these laws will be enforc...
- Frank: Just cancel the holidays. That's what it's comin...
absence management ACA background checks ban the box business practices compliance contingency planning discrimination diversity EEOC employee benefits employee classification employee communications employee engagement employee handbooks employee leaves employee rights equal opportunities equal pay executive pay FLSA FMLA global hr Global HR harassment HR strategy immigration joint employer layoffs mergers and acquisitions minimum wage NLRB overtime paid sick leave performance management reasonable accommodations recruiting retaliation sex discrimination sexual harassment social media telecommuting wage and hour workplace safety workplace violence