Tag Archives | discrimination
Melissa Silver September 27, 2016
With various employment-related ordinances, such as minimum wage and paid sick leave laws trending on a local level, employers are probably wondering, is my city next? Maybe, maybe not. While local employment laws may be on the rise, state… continue
Beth Zoller August 29, 2016
The struggle for equal rights for individuals identifying as lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) has moved into the forefront more than ever before, and it’s having a dramatic impact on workplaces that are becoming increasingly diverse. Although Title VII… continue
Beth Zoller January 11, 2016
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal…I have a dream that my four… continue
Beth Zoller January 5, 2016
In the past year, a host of court cases, legislation and regulatory actions have questioned the very nature of who is considered an employer and who is considered an employee along with what rights and benefits employees should be entitled… continue
Beth Zoller December 21, 2015
With 2016 fast approaching, an employer should be sure to take the time to review and update its employee handbook so that it remains legally compliant. There have been a number of significant legal changes on the federal, state and… continue
Melissa Silver November 9, 2015
A US employer considering expanding its operations to Puerto Rico may think that it will be relatively easy to manage a workforce in that location since Puerto Rico is subject to US employment laws, including Title VII, the Fair… continue
Michael Jacobson September 1, 2015
A roundup of workplace trends and legal developments to keep HR ahead of the curve The National Labor Relations Board is at it again and this time, it may just have rocked the entire business world. On August 27, the… continue
Beth Zoller June 23, 2015
This year Ramadan, the month-long religious holiday celebrated by Muslims worldwide, began on June 18 and ends on July 17. Because federal, state and local laws prohibit discrimination and harassment based on a job applicant’s or employee’s religious beliefs and… continue
Beth Zoller June 17, 2015
Summer often means more casual dress, office parties, a new crop of interns and vacation time. However, it is critical for an employer to have the proper workplace policies and procedures in place to effectively handle summer issues and avoid… continue
Beth Zoller May 5, 2015
California continues to lead the way in expanding the rights of employees and obligations of employers in the workplace in many areas. This should come as no surprise to employers and HR since the California Fair Employment and Housing Act… continue
Get Social with XpertHR
- Performance Management: The Importance of Being Honest October 11, 2012
- What Skills Do CHROs Need to Bring to the Table in 2016? January 29, 2016
- Reduce Workplace Absenteeism With Five Simple Steps June 1, 2015
- SHRM 2015: How Does HR Thrive? June 30, 2015
- Why ‘Ban the Box’ Trend Has Huge Impact on Employers December 17, 2015
- 7 Ways to Ease Open Enrollment Headaches for 2019 September 12, 2018
- Why Zero-Tolerance Policies Make Little Sense September 7, 2018
- Hurricane-Related Hazards Blow in for Employers September 4, 2018
- How to Prepare for Back-to-School Leave Requests August 29, 2018
- Scheduling Laws: Predictable, Secure, Flexible or Simply Confusing? August 20, 2018
- David Weisenfeld: That is true in the case of California's legaliza...
- David Weisenfeld: Thanks for your comment Fredrick. Tricky situation...
- Fredrick Carter: It will indeed be interesting to see how employers...
- Keyrah: I am curious how some of these laws will be enforc...
- David Weisenfeld: Thanks for your comment and good point!...
absence management ACA age discrimination background checks ban the box business practices compliance discrimination EEOC employee benefits employee classification employee engagement employee handbooks employee leaves employee rights equal opportunities equal pay executive pay flexible working FLSA FMLA global hr Global HR harassment HR strategy immigration joint employer layoffs mergers and acquisitions minimum wage NLRB overtime paid sick leave reasonable accommodations recruiting recruiting and hiring retaliation salary history sex discrimination sexual harassment social media telecommuting wage and hour workplace safety workplace violence