Beth Zoller July 19, 2013
Equal treatment for the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community seemed like a pipe dream in 1996 when the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) was passed defining marriage as being between one man and one woman. But things came… continue
David Weisenfeld July 12, 2013
The Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act (GINA) is one of the newer US employment laws, and has already led to lawsuits against employers, including one that sparked a $50,000 settlement. To become aware of the risks and learn how to avoid… continue
Melissa Silver July 2, 2013
According to a new infographic, US government agencies over the last several years have significantly stepped up enforcement against employers from all angles and made clear the high cost of failing to comply with the law. It’s the perfect storm.… continue
Michael Cardman July 1, 2013
We present four common misconceptions about overtime requirements under the United States’ Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). Myth # 1 – You’re salaried, so you don’t get overtime Being paid a salary is a prerequisite for many of the FLSA’s… continue
Beth Zoller June 27, 2013
It seems as if everywhere you turn today, employee social media use is on the rise. From Facebook to LinkedIn to Twitter to Pintrest, the proliferation of social media platforms keeps growing. In fact, just this year, Twitter launched a… continue
Beth Zoller June 21, 2013
A majority of US employers now have policies on employee social media use in place. But few are following up on their policies with appropriate social media training. This is according to a recent survey by XpertHR and Emedia of… continue
Marta Moakley June 19, 2013
This third installment of my SHRM 2013 series will examine Tuesday’s events from dawn to dusk. All 15,100 attendees (a SHRM conference record!) had an opportunity to learn about their sales prowess (who knew?), follow best practices in legal compliance,… continue
Marta Moakley June 18, 2013
Sunday’s highlights and Monday’s happenings comprise this second installment of my SHRM 2013 series. Whether you began your day with an early morning review of trade secret law or spent it networking at the various booths, the conference’s schedule of… continue
Marta Moakley June 13, 2013
HR’s Kind of Town, Chicago Is. In just a couple of days, thousands of HR professionals will descend upon the Windy City to attend SHRM 2013. Keynote Speakers This year’s keynote speakers include a rather impressive group: former Secretary of… continue
Michael Cardman June 7, 2013
Not feeling appreciated or valued is among the factors that correlate most strongly with employee turnover. Employers can show they appreciate employees with tangible awards like bonuses, raises or prizes. But a pat on the back can be quite effective,… continue
Get Social with XpertHR
- Performance Management: The Importance of Being Honest October 11, 2012
- What Skills Do CHROs Need to Bring to the Table in 2016? January 29, 2016
- Reduce Workplace Absenteeism With Five Simple Steps June 1, 2015
- SHRM 2015: How Does HR Thrive? June 30, 2015
- Why ‘Ban the Box’ Trend Has Huge Impact on Employers December 17, 2015
- Protecting the Workplace from the Flu Outbreak of 2018 February 20, 2018
- HR Intel: Sexual Harassment 2.0 – Now Comes the Harder Part February 15, 2018
- Workplace Romance and Top Employer Mistakes in the #Metoo Era February 14, 2018
- Why International Payroll, Learning and Development, and the Gig Economy Heart Blockchain February 13, 2018
- Minimum Salaries for White-Collar Employees: Will States Pick Up Where US Labor Department Left Off? February 7, 2018
- David Weisenfeld: That is true in the case of California's legaliza...
- David Weisenfeld: Thanks for your comment Fredrick. Tricky situation...
- Fredrick Carter: It will indeed be interesting to see how employers...
- Keyrah: I am curious how some of these laws will be enforc...
- Frank: Just cancel the holidays. That's what it's comin...
absence management ACA background checks ban the box business practices contingency planning discrimination diversity EEOC employee benefits employee classification employee communications employee engagement employee handbooks employee leaves employee rights equal opportunities equal pay executive pay FLSA FMLA Global HR global hr harassment HR strategy immigration joint employer layoffs mergers and acquisitions minimum wage NLRB overtime paid sick leave performance management reasonable accommodations recruiting religious accommodation retaliation sex discrimination sexual harassment social media telecommuting wage and hour workplace safety workplace violence