Archive | Employee Health & Safety RSS feed for this section
David Weisenfeld July 24, 2013
With many US states having legalized medical marijuana, and Colorado and Washington now permitting recreational marijuana use for individuals 21 and older, what do these laws really mean for employers? Making these legalization laws especially dicey is the fact that… continue
Ashley Shaw April 25, 2013
As I am sure you are all aware, April is Distracted Driving Awareness Month! While keeping distractions from behind the wheel should be a year-long pursuit, this month has been set aside to help us really realize why distracted… continue
Beth Zoller April 15, 2013
The recent firing of Rutgers University basketball coach Mike Rice, but only after a video surfaced of him physically hitting players and hurling repeated homophobic epithets at them, is a virtual primer of what NOT to do from an employment… continue
Ashley Shaw March 15, 2013
Friends, Romans, Countrymen, Lend me your ears… Today (Friday, March 15th) is the Ides of March, remembered in infamy as the day Julius Caesar was assassinated. This assassination came shortly after Caesar generously accepted the position of Dictator Perpetuo (Dictator for… continue
Michael Jacobson February 28, 2013
In Part One of this series, the HR Fly listened in on the beginning of a workers’ compensation preliminary hearing, as the Administrative Law Judge (ALJ) started the hearing, set the parameters and questioned the employment attorney as to the employer’s self-insurance… continue
Michael Jacobson February 27, 2013
In Part One of this series, theHR Fly listened in on the beginning of a workers’ compensation preliminaryhearing, as the Administrative Law Judge (ALJ) started the hearing, set theparameters and questioned the employment attorney as to the employer’sself-insurance against workers’… continue
Michael Jacobson February 26, 2013
As an HR professional, you knowhow important it is to have an open dialogue with employees, supervisors and attorneysin your legal department.What you don’tknow, however, is what types of conversations your employees have when you’re not present. In this series,… continue
Beth Zoller January 31, 2013
More than a month has passed since the horrific massacre in Newtown, Connecticut. Ordinary teachers and precious young children who were going about their day like any other were gunned down in the worst elementary school shooting this country has… continue
Ashley Shaw January 17, 2013
Now Sam McGee was from Tennessee, where the cotton blooms and blows. Why he left his home in the South to roam ’round the Pole, God only knows. If you’ve never read Robert W. Service’s “The Cremation of Sam McGee“,… continue
Melissa Burdorf December 19, 2012
As a born and raised jersey girl when I first saw the devastation of Hurricane Sandy I could barely breathe. I immediately felt a need to get in my car and take that parkway south drive to the jersey shore… continue
Get Social with XpertHR
- Performance Management: The Importance of Being Honest October 11, 2012
- What Skills Do CHROs Need to Bring to the Table in 2016? January 29, 2016
- Reduce Workplace Absenteeism With Five Simple Steps June 1, 2015
- SHRM 2015: How Does HR Thrive? June 30, 2015
- Why ‘Ban the Box’ Trend Has Huge Impact on Employers December 17, 2015
- New 2019 California Employment Laws Creating Compliance Challenges February 15, 2019
- Valentine’s Day in the #MeToo Era: What’s Appropriate Behavior? February 12, 2019
- 8 Key Challenges for Global Employers February 8, 2019
- Today’s Workplace: The Importance of Keeping It Real January 28, 2019
- Building Trust: Critical Currency in a Competitive Job Market January 24, 2019
- Robert Teachout: Thank you for commenting on the vacation article. ...
- Thomasine H. Mitchell: What if I am a school teacher and my principal say...
- David Weisenfeld: That is true in the case of California's legaliza...
- David Weisenfeld: Thanks for your comment Fredrick. Tricky situation...
- Fredrick Carter: It will indeed be interesting to see how employers...
absence management background checks ban the box business practices compliance discrimination diversity diversity and inclusion EEOC employee benefits employee classification employee engagement employee handbooks employee leaves employee rights equal opportunities equal pay executive pay flexible working FLSA FMLA global hr Global HR harassment HR strategy immigration joint employer layoffs minimum wage NLRB overtime paid sick leave reasonable accommodations recruiting recruiting and hiring religious accommodation retaliation salary history sex discrimination sexual harassment social media telecommuting wage and hour workplace safety workplace violence