Archive | Employee Leaves & Accommodations RSS feed for this section
David Weisenfeld March 6, 2018
The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) recently celebrated its 25th anniversary, but federal action regarding paid family leave has remained very much elusive. And that inaction has led a growing number of states and cities to take action and… continue
David Weisenfeld January 2, 2018
As the calendar turns to 2018, there are a host of new employment laws at the state and municipal levels that took effect December 31 or January 1 of which employers must be aware. Not surprisingly, a massive number of… continue
David Weisenfeld October 23, 2017
While most think of October for fall foliage, Halloween and perhaps playoff baseball, in California it’s also the month when big employment law changes became official. Governor Jerry Brown kept his pen busy in signing a host of new laws… continue
Jessica Webb-Ayer September 20, 2017
Employers are continuing the trend of offering more perks for parents, such as paid parental leave, according to a panel at the 2017 EBN Benefits Forum & Expo. The panel, moderated by Simon Borumand, Innovation Imagineer at Mercer, and also… continue
Beth Zoller September 14, 2017
Religious accommodation questions often present unique challenges for employers who are faced with determining whether they should bend their time off or dress code rules to accommodate an employee’s religious beliefs and practices. For example, a Muslim employee may request… continue
Michael Cardman September 12, 2017
In the wake of Hurricane Irma, Hurricane Harvey and other recent natural disasters, many of us have been inspired by stories of everyday people pitching in their time and talents to help those in need. These selfless actions may inspire… continue
Robert Teachout September 6, 2017
The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) has been around since 1993. And while there are a lot of requirements and regulations for employers to navigate, the basic obligations of the law are well known for the most part, and… continue
Jessica Webb-Ayer August 28, 2017
It’s that special time of year again when children and teachers make the (sometimes reluctant) journey back to school. Vacations are over, the school buses are on their way, and parents and guardians are adjusting their schedules accordingly. So what… continue
Beth Zoller August 23, 2017
Illinois employers should take into account that several new developments have hit the Land of Lincoln that will have a significant impact on workplace policies, practices and procedures. What’s more, it’s not just the state of Illinois that has enacted… continue
David Weisenfeld August 17, 2017
It’s no secret that California is often at or near the forefront when it comes to new developments to expand employee protections. Sometimes, these measures become a bit of an outlier. But on many occasions, with minimum wage hikes being… continue
Get Social with XpertHR
- Performance Management: The Importance of Being Honest October 11, 2012
- What Skills Do CHROs Need to Bring to the Table in 2016? January 29, 2016
- Reduce Workplace Absenteeism With Five Simple Steps June 1, 2015
- SHRM 2015: How Does HR Thrive? June 30, 2015
- Why ‘Ban the Box’ Trend Has Huge Impact on Employers December 17, 2015
- 3 Ways Your Company May Be Engaging in Sex Discrimination March 20, 2018
- Can Embracing March Madness Improve Employee Engagement? March 15, 2018
- From #SHRMLeg: Becoming an ADA Accommodation Expert March 13, 2018
- From #SHRMLeg: How Employers Deal with Marijuana, Opioids and Other Drugs in the Workplace March 12, 2018
- Paid Leave Podcast Shines Spotlight on Growing Trend March 6, 2018
- David Weisenfeld: That is true in the case of California's legaliza...
- David Weisenfeld: Thanks for your comment Fredrick. Tricky situation...
- Fredrick Carter: It will indeed be interesting to see how employers...
- Keyrah: I am curious how some of these laws will be enforc...
- Frank: Just cancel the holidays. That's what it's comin...
absence management ACA background checks ban the box business practices compliance contingency planning discrimination diversity EEOC employee benefits employee classification employee communications employee engagement employee handbooks employee leaves employee rights equal opportunities equal pay executive pay FLSA FMLA Global HR global hr harassment HR strategy immigration joint employer layoffs mergers and acquisitions minimum wage NLRB overtime paid sick leave performance management reasonable accommodations recruiting retaliation sex discrimination sexual harassment social media telecommuting wage and hour workplace safety workplace violence